Take Pride Active Riders deliver a Bikeability course to Year 5 and 6 children at Queenborough School. The course is delivered by National Standard qualified trainers on the school playground, away from traffic. The course itself uses lots of fun, games and activities to teach the children essential basic riding skills.
Developing these fundamental cycling skills helps to lay the foundations for Level 2 (on road) training. It inspires individual confidence and encourages a skilled based approach to road use.
The course includes:
- Helmet checks and fitting
- Understanding the various parts of their bike/simple bike checks
- Starting and stopping under control
- Riding the bike using gears correctly (if fitted)
- Making the bike go where the rider wishes, including swerving around objects
- Emergency stops / stopping quickly under control
- Looking behind and all around when riding without wobbling
- Manoeuvring skills
- Riding with others
- Fun games designed to consolidate and practice manoeuvring skills